A 3D printer is a machine for creating three dimensional models from a computer generated digital design. Our mission supports both patron interest and contemporary innovation. The Duxbury Free Library prides itself on helping people of all ages build skills and competencies they need to thrive in a technology driven world.
This policy establishes how and under what circumstances the public may use the Library’s 3 D printer.
- The 3D printer can only be used during designated times when library staff or volunteer coaches are available.
- The town or Library is not responsible for any object created with 3D printers or any harm incurred by a printed object.
- The town or Library is not responsible for any harm or injury incurred as a result of any usage of the equipment.
- The printer may be used for lawful purposes only. The Library Director or designee reserves the right to reject any print job application. Examples of unlawful purposes or potentially rejected jobs include but are not limited to:
Anything prohibited by local, state or federal law.
Unsafe, harmful, dangerous item that poses an immediate threat to the well-being of
An item that is obscene or otherwise inappropriate for the library environment.
Work that is in violation of another’s intellectual property rights.
Material that is subject to copyright, patent or trademark protection.
A job that is too large or complex.
- Any 3D drafting software may be used to create a design as long as the file can be saved in .stl or .obj or .thing file format.
- Projects will be printed in first come/first served order. The library reserves the right to delay or change the printing order of projects depending on how long a project may take to print.
- Finished projects may be picked up at the DFL Reference Desk or the Children’s Desk. Items not picked up after 7 days become the property of the DFL.
- The Library reserves the right to set reasonable fees to offset printing costs.
- While the Library will endeavor to protect the privacy of people who submit print jobs and the end product, this cannot be guaranteed.