Local History - Duxbury Room
The Duxbury Room houses material of permanent historical value relating to Duxbury’s history, governance, commerce, individuals and organizations. Material on surrounding towns may be included in the collection. The collection consists primarily of books, but also may contain maps, pamphlets, manuscripts, photographs, artifacts, art work and other special forms of materials published and unpublished.
Gifts of Duxbury material are most welcome please contact the Reference Desk: 781-934-2721 ext 100 or email@example.com
The collection of genealogical resources is focused on the Duxbury area but anyone with Massachusetts' roots will find a wealth of useful information from the following resources:
- Census records: transcription of the 1855 and 1865 state censuses for Duxbury
- Directories: 1867 Plymouth County, 1906, 1915 Duxbury, 1915 South Shore Blue Book
- Cemetery records: transcription of Old Burying Ground, Standish Cemetery (burials 1656-1804)
- Genealogies: including Alden, Aldrich, Anable, Austin, Battelle, Black, Brewster, Bumpus, Caldwell, Clark, Coffin, Delano, Doane, Field, Hanks, Hildreths, Holway, Keen, Partridge, Phillips, Pratt, Rich, Sampson, Sayle, Seymour, Soule, Sprague, Standish, Stetson, Stoddard, Torbron, Torrey, Wadsworth, Washburn, Wellman, Weston, Winslow
- Military records; Massachusetts soldiers and sailors of the Revolutionary and Civil Wars
- Vital records: to 1850 for Duxbury and most other Massachusetts towns
- New England Historic and Genealogical Register
- the Duxbury File - articles about Duxbury people and places
There are materials in this collection whose age, character or rarity make special handling or separate security measures necessary. In order to balance the dual goals of preserving historical material while providing maximum access to the information contained, the library provides access through means best suited to meet both goals.
Access to the Duxbury Room is generally during normal hours of operation, but during the school year hours may be limited to 10 am to 2 pm. It is suggested that interested parties contact the Reference Desk for an appointment to assure timely access and assistance should it be needed. Reference Desk: 781-934-2721 ext 100 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
the Town of Duxbury: